Andrew Corry — Utah Pioneer


| Home Page | Contents | Index | Comments? |

| Chapter — Adventure |

| Next — The Early Years |

| Back — Heritage |


In the beginning

By1922 there were few surviving pioneers who came into the Valley of the Salt Lake with Brigham Young the summer of 1847, 75 years earlier. Two of them, Mrs. T.K.M. Perry and my paternal great-grandfather, Andrew Corry, lived in Iron County. To mark the anniversary and describe their experience in coming to the valley of the mountains a special edition of the Iron County Record was published July 28, 1922, in commemoration of the landing of that hardy band of "Mormons."

I have abstracted Andrew Corry's narrative in that paper as a starting point for a record of what this one pioneer went through, supplemented by church documents and web sites. It is of possible interest to note that all of my great-grandparents arrived in Utah Territory by way of wagon train or pulling/pushing a handcart before the railroad came in 1869. The stories of their hardships and adventures in service to their religious beliefs often are similar to this one.

Andrew begins his story in 1846 when a company of 143 "Mormons" under the leadership of Apostle John Taylor left Canada to begin their trek west. His father, George Corry, and mother, Margaret Corry nee Clemie, and their seven children were in Taylor's company. Andrew was born on the trail on April 28, 1846, in a wagon while crossing Fox River in present day Caine or Dupaige County, Illinois. Reportedly he was born in the middle of the river.

The Taylor company landed at Winter Quarters the latter part of that year, and pushed onward in 1847, arriving in the Valley of the Salt Lake in August about three weeks after the first company. The first company, led by Brigham Young, entered the valley on July 24 th , still celebrated as Pioneer Day in Utah.

Andrew continues:

"The first thing I remember, I was setting on the hearth while my mother was gathering pig weeds to cook for food. We did not have any bread for six weeks, but had been living on roots, thistles, pig weeds, and other greens.

My father built a home in Salt Lake but was soon called to settle Provo. He built a good home in Provo and procured a 169.9 acre farm, but he was again called on a mission to settle Iron County. He moved to Cedar City in 1853 where he made his home during the remainder of his life; and where I have resided ever since we first landed."

As Andrew was 76 when he wrote this narrative, he groused a bit about the young as pioneers like him are entitled to do:

"It seems to me that the younger generation are seeking more for pleasure and the temporal things of this world; while in the early days we paid more attention to the spiritual side of life as taught by our parents and the leaders of the Church.

It was through the faith we had in the teachings of our parents and the priesthood that enabled us to make the many sacrifices necessarily made while building up the settlements and in subduing the soil of the wilderness but the young people of today don't appreciate the many sacrifices that were made and the various hardships endured, while making this a safe dwelling place for all times to come."

Considering he started out being born in a pioneer wagon crossing a river, he certainly didn't live a gentle, refined life of ease, as shown below. Nor did the privations of pioneer life stunt his growth as he reached a height of some 6 feet 7 inches, remarkably tall for the time and place.

A life of travel and adventure

Military adventures


The Black Hawk War raged from 1865 to 1872, with an estimated 150 battles, skirmishes, raids, and military engagements between Mormons and other settlers in Sanpete County, Sevier County and other parts of central and southern Utah, and members of 16 Ute, Paiute, Apache and Navajo tribes, led by a local Ute war chief, Antonga Black Hawk. The conflict resulted in the abandonment of some settlements and postponed Mormon expansion in the region. The years 1865 to 1867 were by far the most intense of the conflict, though intermittent skirmishes occurred until around 200 federal troops intervened in 1872.

According to Utah veteran archives Andrew Corry enlisted at age 20 on August 16, 1866, and served for 2 months with cavalry, being discharged on October 16, 1866. During that time he participated in an expedition to Rabbit Valley while serving as a scout and on patrol.

This expedition was no walk in the park and is described in some detail in Peter Gottfredson book Indian Depredations in Utah (p. 221-225). A company of sixty-one men from St. George and surrounding settlements was mustered on August 16, 1866, under the command of Captain James Andrus. They met at Gould's Ranch in Washington County, 26 miles east of St. George. The objective was to advance to the Grand and Green Rivers. The company advanced to Pipe Springs on August 21 st where they were met by Lieutenant Joseph Fish with eighteen men from Parowan and Iron County on August 22 nd . Pvt. Andrew Corry was in the Fifth Platoon under 2 nd Lt. Joseph Fish.

The next day brought rain and some of the troops developed chills and fevers from the exposure. Six of the men were so disabled that they were ordered back, together with 14 sore-backed horses and spare camp equipage. However, at about 5;30 PM this party was ambushed by Indians and Elijah Everett was killed in the first volley. During the skirmish George Ishum received an arrow wound in his left shoulder. Supposing they were being attacked by a large party of Indians the men took shelter for the night in the cedars on the opposite side of gorge from where the ambush occurred. The next day the survivors straggled back to where the company was encamped.

On hearing of the attack Captain Andrus took about 25 men and set off in pursuit down the Pah-reah (or Paria) River. They came upon the Indians ascending the point of a mountain about noon. They surrounded the Indians but under cover of darkness they escaped. However, all except two of the horses, guns, and the gear the Indians had captured was recovered. Everett's body was recovered and buried on August 27 th .

The men then moved as a body up the east fork of the Pah-reah and through Potato Valley (now Escalante) where they gathered and ate some wild potatoes. From there they went through Rabbit Valley, crossed the Dirty Devil River (aka Fremont River) and continued on until they were in sight of Green River. There they turned back as the country between them was too rough and broken to proceed further.

They later found out that when the company turned back they were within three miles of Black Hawk's main camp and that only old men and squaws were left in the camp with the stock, while he and his warriors were in Sanpete.

Captain Andrus' company expected to meet another one from Sanpete but missed them. After some dry camps the company went down the east fork of the Sevier River and crossed through Circleville. The town had been abandoned in the spring after the crops were planted following a series of massacres and Indian attacks. Those crops, now ripe, provided fodder and food. From Circleville they went up a canyon to the west and through Bear Valley. The next day the company proceeded to Parowan where a dance was held in their honor. After that they proceeded to Cedar City, from which the company was discharged and the men proceeded to their homes after 60 days duty.

Andrew also is reported to have engaged in other skirmishes against the Navajo but I have failed to find evidence for that.

Reportedly Andrew Corry was later elected colonel of the militia battalion in Iron County but I have not found documentation for that. Certainly later in life Andrew was known as "Colonel Corry" in the surviving news reports. That may simply have been an honorary title recognizing his community standing in Cedar City and Iron County.



At age 24, on April 22, 1870, Andrew married Letitia Newcomb, to whom he remained married for 51 years until her death in April 1921. They had ten children together, including my grandfather Charles.

The Mountain Meadows massacre


When Andrew was 11 the Utah Territorial Militia, from the Iron County district, attacked the Baker–Fancher emigrant wagon train at Mountain Meadows southeast of Cedar City. The attacks began on September 7 and culminated on September 11, 1857, with most men, women, and children in the emigrant party being slaughtered. The massacre occurred during the early stages of what was later known as the Utah War.

While Andrew was not a participant in that conflict, finding a scapegoat among the Mormon participants dragged on past the end of the war. Eventually, John D. Lee went on trial in July 1875, but the jury was split between Mormons who voted to acquit, and non-Mormons who voted to convict. The transcript of that trial reveals no evidence was presented against Lee.

On September 14, 1876, John D. Lee was tried again and on the jury this time was Andrew Corry, now age 30. In 1932 Andrew Corry gave an affidavit to Edna Lee Brimhall:

"I came to Utah when I was two years old and have lived here for eighty-three years, and I have been through the mill. I knew John D. Lee very well and many a time I have stayed at his home. I was on the jury that convicted him, and I was the last man to give in to have him executed. President Young furnished the evidence and the witnesses that convicted John D. Lee. Do you believe it? It is true nevertheless. I know for I was there at the court at the time of the trial. It was the same as Nephi killing Laban. Better for one man to die than for a whole nation to dwindle in unbelief. John D. Lee was the sacrifice. He paid the penalty, but just the same he was a good man. They never published that thing correctly. I know John D. Lee was not altogether to blame. He was caught in the snare. I couldn't give in with the jury. Granger took me to one side and talked and reasoned with me, but I felt miserable, just as though the devil had some power over me. Finally S. S. Barton, a juror, told me a dream he had. 'We, the jury, were all in a field harvesting, and had our rifles with us. A flock of blackbirds rose up from everywhere and scattered away.' These blackbirds represented the apostates and the mob. They wanted Brigham Young, and John D. Lee knew it. It meant that some one must be the Joel White goose. As in the dream, a flock of Joel White geese flew by and we shot at them, killing one. Then the great flock of blackbirds rose. Lee was the Joel White goose. I still disliked very much to give in to the jury for I know that Lee was not the only one responsible for the dead, and some one had to be sacrificed, so at last I gave in, and immediately I felt so relieved and happy that I gave in and the evil influence left me. Lee was as much a sacrifice for the Church as any man had ever been. The Lord did the best He could at all times with the people He had to work with. The Lord has been merciful to me and has shown me the Gospel and I am grateful to him for doing so."

Following that verdict on March 22, 1877, Lee was executed at the site of the massacre. Brigham Young, in nearby St. George, did not attend the execution, and on August 29, 1877 he died with this massacre a scar on his remarkable life.

Missionary work


In January 1887, at age 40, Andrew Corry was called to serve as a Mormon missionary in New Zealand. As Mormon missionaries had only first arrived there in 1854, Andrew was an early worker for the church in that country and worked for a few months among the Maoris. At the end of March 1887 he was appointed to join Elder John Blyth in Australia, as Blyth had been suffering from health issues. As best I can determine Andrew completed the rest of his mission in Australia before returning to Cedar City.

I have heard that Andrew also served as a missionary in Canada but I have not been able to verity that. As my father spoke of going to and participating in the Calgary Stampede it is possible, even probable that Andrew went there with his sons and grandsons, and that would account for the Canadian visit.

Iron County Record


The following vignettes taken from the Iron County Record well illustrate the later life and times of this Mormon pioneer.

Friday March 9, 1906

Col. Andrew Corry is able to be about town again this week, after a very severe illness of several weeks. He attributed his indisposition to the contracting of a severe cold while attending an evening meeting.

News was received through the Cedar City Post office the first of the week to the effect that Col. Andrew Corry has been awarded the contract for carrying the United States Mail between Lund and Cedar City for a period of four years, commencing with the first of next July. The contract will be executed on a basis of $1,200 per year.

Col. Corry was seen by a representative of this paper, Tuesday, and confirmed the report. He said that he did not submit a bid on his own account, but in order to secure employment for his sons. While no one could possibly know what action would be taken by the department, Mr. Corry stated that he had felt quite confident all along of securing the contract.

None of the bids submitted for carrying the mail between Cedar and St. George were accepted and the department is now advertising for new bids.

Friday December 28, 1906

Corry Bros. Stable Line

Daily Service and Accommodations

Buggies Furnished on Application for the Virgin Oil Fields

Terms Reasonable.


Friday June 4, 1909

Big Blaze at Corry Hotel

Third Time this Building has Been Partly Demolished by Fire.

Water System Proves of Great Value

Bucket Brigade Also Does Good Work.

This morning the citizens of this usually peacefully little city were roused to a great pitch of excitement of hearing the fire bells clanging. Investigation proved that the Andrew Corry Hotel was on fire and in a few minutes an immense crowd had gathered with hose and buckets, The fire must have been burning for some time before it was discovered by one of the neighbors who quickly gave the warning, and thanks to the prompt action of those who came to the relief, the blaze was soon extinguished.

The roof was partly burned off and all the down stair rooms will have to be replastered and papered. The damage has not been estimated at this writing, but from all accounts the insurance will more than cover the loss.


Friday June 11, 1909

Regarding Corry Hotel Fire

Mr. Andrew Cory saw, many years ago, the value and logic of fire insurance. He had a fire 17 years ago, and at that time he had only been insured for ten days. He has carried insurance ever since and on the 4th of this month another fire visited him. Mr. Corry was insured in the LARGEST & STRONGEST FIRE Insurance Company in the world. The Home Insurance Company of New York, at the same rate asked by other companies. Mr. Corry's fire was on the morning of June 4th and a settlement of $801.25 was made on June 7th. We take great pride in promptness and justness of our adjustments. Please ask Mr. Corry regarding satisfaction.

Our 1909 annual financial statement will be found elsewhere in this paper. We request and defy a comparison.

Before insuring insist upon obtaining name of company about to insure on and I will show you their financial standing.

Myron D. Higbee

Local Agent


October 8, 1909

The Corry Hotel

Since the Corry Hotel was burned out it has undergone a complete transformation in the matter of remodeling, papering and painting. It has been open for business for some little time, and the proprietor is better prepared than ever to accommodate the travelling public. As the service given in the past was all that could be desired the patron now need have no fear but that the same estimable service will be accorded them. The Corry Hotel has always had the name of being the most homelike place in the South and still holds the reputation.


Friday October 14, 1910

The fare to Lund is now $2.50 single trip. Round trip $4.00.

Andrew Corry

Passenger Rates

Passenger rates on stage line has been increased as follow.

Single trip from $1.50 to 2.50. Round trip from $2.50 to $4.00.

Andrew Corry


Friday March 31, 1911

Col. Andrew Corry will go to Zion next week and while there will order an auto which will be used on the stage line. He anticipates having it in operation by the middle of April or the first of May.

Corry Stage Line will make a special conference rate of $3.00 for the round trip to Lund. If you want accommodations you had better hand in your name, so that you will not missed. The Col. will put on sufficient teams to handle the conference rush.


Friday May 4, 1911

Information has been received that Andrew Corry has closed the stage station at Iron Springs. The cause of this move has not been ascertained.


Friday March 22, 1912

For Sale

666 acres good land, Corry Hotel, furnished complete; 700 good cedar posts; 1 pair good horses, well mated, weighing about 1950 each. Taxes are too high. When men are placed in positions that the town people are opposed to, we had better all move.

Andrew Corry


Friday September 27, 1912

Coal For Sale

Coal for sale at the Corry mine, $3 a ton, or delivered in the City, $5 a ton. Apply to Thomas Williams, Thomas Dutton or William Dix.


Friday October 25, 1922

Thursday morning in the City Court of Justice E.J. Palmer, two cases were heard. Lorenzo Adams plead guilty of being intoxicated and was fined $5. Andrew Corry plead guilty to disturbing the peace and was fined $35. Several cases were continued.


Friday December 20,1912

Andrew Corry, contractor for carrying the mail between this place and Lund, has disposed of part of his interest in the contract to McKeon and Martin, who will have direct charge of the line between the two points. Mr. Corry will receive one-third and McKeon and Martin two-thirds of the proceeds of all the business in connection with the Line. Mr. Corry furnished one automobile.


Friday May 2, 1913

Monday evening a birthday party in honor of Col. Andrew Corry was given at the Corry Hotel, about fifty old-friends of Mr. Corry being present. He greatly appreciated such kindly expressions of remembrance.

Friday June 31, 1913

A birthday party was given Sunday at the home of William N. Corry in honor of the 70 th birthday of Mr. Andrew Corry. Relatives and friends to a number that filled all available room were present and a most enjoyable evening was spent.


Friday August 29, 1913

Colonel Andrew Corry expects to place an automobile on the road between Cedar City and Lund in the near future.


Friday February 13, 1914

Colonel Andrew Corry purchased a valuable driving horse from Myron Davis of Kanarraville last Saturday, the consideration being $200.00. It seems evident that the Colonel expects to secure the mail contract from this place to Lund for another four years.

Contractor Corry's big roadster just out of the shop after a through over hauling and smart in a new coat of paint, made its first run to Lund Wednesday afternoon. The Colonel himself with ///////? Williams as chauffeur made the trip.


Friday March 26, 1915

Colonel Andrew Corry recently sold 40 acres of choice land with water in the North Field to Bullock Brothers for a consideration of $5,000.00 The Colonel is trying to shape his affairs around in such a way as to enjoy a little comfort during his declining years. He has also purchased one of the Geo. W. Decker homes and will, it is understood, offer for sale his hotel and present residence. In this Mr. Corry is taking a wise course.


Friday May 14, 1915

For Sale

Four-room house, barn, stables, and full lot in eastern part of Cedar City, $250.00.

Andrew Corry

Hotel, two city lots, large barn, other buildings, hotel furnished complete, and all furniture included. a great Bargain.

Andrew Corry

327 acres of good land, 15 miles from Cedar City, in the vicinity of Iron Springs, 50 Acres plowed; good reservoir four-room cottage, barn, fence, well, all included at $12.50 per acre for the land.

Andrew Corry - Cedar City

One good 3 1/2 Studebaker wagon, with hay rack, $45.00.

One Milwaukee mowing machine, used only one year. $25.00.

One McCormick mower, fair condition. $10.00.

One good 12-foot "go-devil," fine condition

Andrew Corry, Cedar City


Friday September 17, 1915

Cedar City Has Disastrous Fire

Flames Kick up Large Barn, Horses and Other Property at Corry Hotel

Scarcity of Water Retards Fire Fighting

Fire Breaks Out In Middle of Night and Creates Much Excitement - Homes Threatened

What is more dreadful, more appalling than the dread cry of Fire, when it rings out upon the still night air and cuts your slumbers like a keen bladed knife, filling your breast with a mysterious dread, which makes you almost afraid to look about and see in what quarter the fire rages. This is about the way the writer felt at 3:00 am that Monday, when we were roused into consciousness by the shrill cry -fired. In an instant the glow of the flames shown through our window, causing the whole room to glow like a coal of fire itself.

The fire proved to be at the premises of the Corry Hotel across the block, and the monster tongues of flame were issuing from the roof of the big lumber barn, while the sparks and glowing embers rose in the air on a dense cloud, and scattered for blocks around. The people were all asleep and responded but slowly to the alarm. When at last they did gather in considerable numbers, there was found to be no pressure on the main on the block worth mentioning. As there was no water in the open ditches, either, the people devoted themselves to this extinguishing of such fires as were ignited by the sparks, and permitted the fire very larger to burn itself out, until at length the pressure was turned on and the timbers were put out and saved for the fuel value. There was about 60 tons of hay in the barn, besides the live stock, and this was allowed to burn up as nearly as possible.

For a time the surrounding property was in imminent danger of being destroyed, but fortunately the crisis was passed without the fire spreading.

The loss resulting from the fie is estimated by Mr. Corry, the proprietor of the premises, at between #,500.00 to $4,000.00 and is divided as follows:

Barn- $1,100.00

60 tons of hay - $420.00

Eight head of horses - $1,200.00

Harness and saddle -$300.00

Farm machinery, etc. - $500.00

Total - $3,520.00

In addition to the above Mr. Oscar Carlson lost three head of horses, harness and saddle, probable worth $500 or more.

The barn and contents were insured to the extent of only $600.00

Mr. Corry got to the barn just as the fire was beginning to envelop the building and attempted to open the stable with a view to saving some of the animals, but the suction was so great and the heat so terrific that he was unable to get the door open and did not care to venture his life by climbing through the windows, so that all the animals, with the exception of one that chanced to be outside of the barn, perished in the flames.

The fire furnished a vivid example of a little intelligent preparation for an emergency of this kind, and we trust that the city council and others in charge of affairs will try to improve our facilities for prompt action in the case of fire.


Friday October 15, 1915 p-6

Andrew Corry has opened up his coal mine and is prepared for a big run of business this fall. Notice his advertisement in another part of this paper.

No Clinkers In This Coal

If the Coal from the Corry Mine produces clinkers in your stove or grate, return the coal when burned and get your money back. Don't take my word on the coal, take the Government tests for it, which I have.

Price $4.50 Per Ton, delivered direct from mine. Supply station in town.

Leave orders at Corry Hotel, Cedar City Utah

Andrew Corry


Friday March 2, 1917

Barn at Corry Mail Station is Consumed

Last Thursday Mr. Andrew Corry, who only returned the first of the week from a stay of several weeks in Los Angeles, was advised that his barn at the mail station about 14 miles from this city, had been burned to the ground. Whether it was the work of incendiaries or whether it was the result of carelessness on the part of campers, is not known; but Mr. Corry is inclined to be generous and prefers the later opinion.

This building was built when Mr. Corry had the mail contract between Lund and this place and was operating the line with horses. It cost about $500 to build, and he carried no insurance on it. In fact that this is the fourth fire Mr. Corry has suffered during recent years make it all the more provoking and disheartening.


June 21, 1918 p-6

Notice To Trespassers

Notice is hereby given that I still own the grazing rights of the coal entry formerly owned by me. No Trespassing allowed.

Andrew Corry


October 18, 1918

For Sale

Corry Hotel, equipped and furnished. Can be bought on the installment plan.

Andrew Corry


July 26, 1919

Col. Andrew Corry is commencing work again on his coal mine on the face of the mountain southeast of town, which reverted back to him by the expiration of the option taken by the Iron County Coal Company, and Mr. Corry will shortly have a good supply of merchantable coal on hand. Work will be continued in the 450 ft. tunnel which has been driven on the property, insuring coal from a good depth.


August 15, 1919

Col. Andrew Corry is constructing a good road from his coal mine on the face of the mountain to connect with the county road recently constructed, so that haulers will have an excellent road now all the way from his mine to town and may load as much as their wagons will support. The charge for coal at the mine, we are informed by Mr. Corry, will be $3.75 per ton.


April 16, 1920

Fifty Years of Wedded Bliss

Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Corry to Observe Their Golden Wedding Thursday April 22

Next Thursday, April 22, Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Corry will celebrate their gold wedding, with a social party given in their honor by their sons and daughters. Elaborate preparations are already under way for the affair, and printed invitations are being issued. Andrew Corry was one of the first pioneers of Cedar City, coming here when only a chunk of a boy. He has been a prominent figure here for a number of years, always a man of affairs, and has specialized in mail contracting, farming and the growing of live stock. His success is equally attributable to his own efforts and the splendid support given by his amiable and capable help mate who has kept him company for the past 50 years. As the hostess of the Corry Hotel, Mrs. Corry as well as her husband has a wide circle of acquaintance and friends.

It is not many of our married people that live to celebrate their 50 th wedding anniversary and it is fitting that the event be duly commemorated.

Mr. & Mrs. Corry have the hearty congratulations of The Record, and our wishes for a number more years of happy life together. Mrs. Corry is enjoying better health at present than for several months past, and everything is propitious for a pleasant time on the occasion of the Anniversary.


April 23, 1920

Fifty Years of Team Work

Col. & Mrs. Andrew Corry Reach the Fiftieth Mile Post of their Wedded Felicity

As announced in these columns last week, an elaborate celebration was carried out yesterday afternoon in the Relief Society Hall in honor of the Golden Wedding anniversary of Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Corry. The affair was planned and given by descendants of the worthy couple, and was the most propitious celebration of this kind ever held here.

The guest began to assemble at 3 p.m. and were ushered into the reception room on the lower floor of the building, where they were entertained most charmingly for an hour or two with short talks, vocal and instrumental music, under the direction of Mrs. Ada Wood Webster, who acted as master of ceremonies during this impromptu program.

Cover were laid for about 130 guests, and a sumptuous repast was served in the good old home comfort style for which Mr. Corry has long been noted. The tables were tastefully decorated, and a huge wedding cake, surrounded by fifty candles, occupied a position near the center of the room, surrounded by the dining tables. There was an abundance of tasty viands for everyone, and to spare. At the close of the banquet, a photograph was taken of the scene.

The meal over the guests again repaired to the lower hall, where the impromptu program was continued until time for the dance to commence. Notable numbers on the program, and which were repeated during the evening for the benefit of newer arrivals, were a paper embodying a beautiful and appropriate poem, read by Mrs. E. C. Watson and the vocal solo by Mr. Gomer Cosslett, "When You and I Were Young, Maggie." In his rich tenor voice with which all residents of Cedar City for the past 40 years are very familiar.

The dancing was interspersed with musical numbers, etc. Mrs. Webster singing "Ben Bolt," in her splendid voluptuous voice.

During the evening Mrs. Della Olsen read three short original poems composed for the occasion, of which the following is one:

Grandpa Married Grandma just Fifty Years Today

Grandma is a grand dear lady,

With her stunning English ways.

With a heart so big and true,

Even on her busy days.

Her hands are always toiling,

At something day and night.

She never leaves a task undone,

But does them all quite right.

Her cakes are rich and wholesome,

and her good old apple pie,

Her pickle sauce and catsup

And beef she used to fry,

Would make a man feel happy

To possess such a wife.

Not little wonder Grandpa won—

'Twas meals that knocked the strife.


Grandpa was a man of wisdom

And his life has been of toil;

He came to Utah in the early days

And helped to till the soil:

His teacher was experience,

The surer road to fame.

Grandpa was so tall and straight

That Colonel became his name.

Grandpa married Grandma dear

Just fifty years today.

That's why we're here to celebrate

In this elaborate fray.

Here's a health to Grandpa and

Grandma: their noble lives we love.

May the richest blessing of the lord

Flow to them from Heaven above.


Viewed from every angle the celebration was a great success, and Bro. and Sister Corry received, besides a number of appropriate presents many sincere congratulations upon their successful lives, their splendid posterity, and upon the fact of their having survived to reach this auspicious moment in their lives.


July 9, 1920

Andrew Corry suffered considerable loss not long ago from petty thieves breaking into the boarding house at his coal mine and carrying off various articles. Mr. Corry states that the tracks and other evidence show conclusively who at least some of the lawbreakers are, and close watch is being kept for more of such work.


July 30, 1920

Col. Andrew Corry says that since the City Hall, including the jail, has been torn down, the tithing office has been destroyed, the job would now be complete if the meeting house were demolished.


November 29, 1920

W.C. Adams has leased the Corry Coal Mine and in operating it with a force of men.


July 29, 1921

Andrew Corry is back from Richfield, where he attended the Indian War Veteran's annual reunion, Mr. Corry is one of the few surviving Veterans of Iron County. He says he had a fine time and enjoyed every minute of the time while away, especially in his associations with the veterans, many of whom are old time friends and acquaintance.


August 5, 1921

Andrew Corry was awarded the contract, last Monday for the furnishing of coal for the Cedar public school, the price being $5.45 per ton.


September 23, 1921

Leased Big Fourteen Mine

Andrew Corry, C.C. Bladen, Lafe McConell and Jos. Farnsworth of this city have leased the Big Fourteen mine from the owners and are now at work drilling on the ore vein and will ship within a week or so.

For the time being it is the intention of the lessees to drift in the neighborhood of fifty feet and block out the ore so that a fair tonnage of the valuable gold and silver ore can be produced daily.

The mine is located in the Statellne district, runs very high in value and the ore now of being large in body.


October 7, 1921

Andrew Corry announces that there are five men at work on the Big Fourteen mine at Stateline and that good progress is being made.



Iron County Record, March 1933


Services Held For Oldest Cedar Resident

Andrew Corry, 87, oldest resident of Cedar City and one of Cedar City's earliest pioneers died at his home Saturday night, March 11 th , of general poisoning following gangrene of the feet from which he had suffered for several weeks, and which had been a most painful affliction.

Mr. Corry was born April 28, 1846, in a wagon while his parents were crossing the Fox River, Illinois, his birth taking place in the middle of the river. His parents were enroute West at the time. He was a son of George and Margaret Clemi Corry, who arrived in Salt Lake Valley in August 1847, as members of the second company of pioneers under John Taylor. They arrived three weeks after the first company of settlers.

The family was called to help settle Provo in 1852 and in 1856 came to Cedar City for a similar purpose.

Andrew Corry was one of the first mail contractors in southern Utah, driving the mail route from Cedar City to Lund, also to St. George and other communities. In earlier days he was the owner of the largest horse stables in this section and brought many fine animals to Cedar for racing purposes.

He was married to Letitia Newcomb on April 22, 1870 in the L.D.S. endowment house at Salt Lake City. She died April 29, 1921. They were the parents of ten children, eight of whom are living.

He was married June 15, 1922 to Mrs. Jane C. Arthur, who survives. Sons and daughters who survive are: Charles N., William N., George H., John H., and Moroni Corry; Mrs. David Webster, Mrs. Conrad Haight, and Mrs. C. Wm. Macfarlane; one sister, Mrs. Mary C. Corlett; 39 grandchildren and 31 great-grandchildren, all of Cedar City.

Funeral services were held in the First Ward chapel Tuesday afternoon, an exceptionally large attendance of relatives, friends, and acquaintances being present, many friends from Parowan, Paragonah, Summit, Kanarra, Newcastle, Harmony, and other towns having come to pay their last tribute of respect to a friend of long years standing.

The services were under the direction of Bishop Frank B. Wood. The opening song by a quartet composed of L. C. Miles, E. M. Corry, Wm. H. Manning, Wm. Macfarlane, Mrs. Helen Foster, Miss Laprele Barnson, Mrs. Sarah W. Wood, and Mrs. Hazel Granger, was "Come, Come, Ye Saints."

Prayer was spoken by Bishop E. M. Corry, of the second ward, followed by a duet by Mrs. Hazel Granger and Lorin C. Miles, entitled "Oh My Father," with accompaniment on the piano by Mrs. Virginia Larson.

The first speaker was George W. Decker of Parowan, a friend of the deceased of long years standing. The speaker said Andrew Corry was a man that was always busy, and always ready to go and do his part, either in a civic or religious way. He spoke of the many excellent qualities of the deceased that showed prominently throughout his entire life.

Another old friend and companion of Mr. Corry, Heber Benson of Parowan, was the next speaker. He spoke of the faith that the deceased had in the gospel, and his willingness to do what the authorities asked of him. He gave a short description of a trip he and Mr. Corry made to the Colorado canyon and the survey made by them of the country lying between here and that canyon. He also referred to the Indian raids and wars, explaining that he and Mr. Corry were pals together in two Indian wars, the Blackhawk and the Navajo.

This was followed by Wm. H. Maning rendered a solo "Face to Face."

The concluding speaker was Elder E. J. Palmer, who told of the loyalty of the deceased to the church and of his willingness to do his part in its advancement, stating that he had filled two missions for his church, one to Canada and one to New Zealand.

The closing musical number was a violin solo "End of a Perfect Day" by Roy L. Halverson. Benediction was pronounced by Chas. R. Hunter, and the grave was dedicated by Theo Corry.

submitted by Kathie Marynik



| Home Page | Contents | Index | Comments? |

| Chapter — Adventure |

| Next — The Early Years |

| Back — Heritage |


Added March 5,2016

Last modified 3/17/16